Love – that thing that makes you happy, sad, and downright insane. –My dictionary

I’m lucky enough to have grown up in a home with two parents who have been in love and married for almost 21 years. Most people can’t say that. Half of marriages these days end in divorce. HALF! Couples are so quick to give up on their significant other because of one bad fight, one not so good feeling, or one mistake. Back in the days of my grandparents, if something was broke you fixed it – including relationships. Now if something has even the tiniest of cracks, we throw it away.

Timing. They say it’s either perfect, or not so perfect at all. Do I believe that’s true when it comes to relationships? No. If you have found the person you’re meant to spend the rest of your life with, it won’t matter when you meet them. They will be the same person you want to go out with on a Saturday night, and wake up on Sunday morning cooking breakfast while dancing around in the kitchen together. It will be the person who you wouldn’t mind settling down at the age of 19 for, but also the same person you would wait for until you were 30+ if you had to. I say all this to say don’t settle, don’t let others tell you you’re too young to think you’ve found the person you’re going to spend the rest of your life with, or on the contrary, “too old, so you better hurry and find the one.” Like the old saying goes, when you know you know. When you meet your soulmate nothing else will matter – not the timing, your age, or where you both are in life – all that will matter is the fact that you’ve found the person that will change your life for the better. You will have found your home.

Love is 50% choice, and 50% feeling. Well, maybe more like 75% choice, and the other 25% feeling. If you’re still naive enough to think love stories in movies are realistic, we need to talk. Love is hard work. There will be days you must sacrifice something you wanted to do, or an opportunity you wanted to take, because your significant others’ opportunity, etc. is more important. But don’t fret, your day will come when they will do the same. There will be situations that arise that cause fights and disagreements. So what? We’re unique, and all made to have a different opinion. There will be times when you won’t see them for days, or even weeks, because of different schedules. Treat your time with them like gold, and let them know they’re always on your mind. They will mess up. You will too. You’re both human, and neither of you are perfect. Agree to stick together through the good and the bad, no matter what curve balls life throws at the both of you. Always be each other’s biggest supporter. Always be their shoulder to cry on when they’re having a bad day. Always let them know you care for them. Cherish them. Love them completely – every flaw, and every broken piece of their being. Always say what you need to say, then say a little more. Even on the days that you don’t feel like loving them, CHOOSE to love them. I promise you will wake up the next morning, that feeling of not wanting to love them dissipated, glad you made that choice.

If you enjoyed this blog post I encourage you to read this article called, The 80/20 Rule of Relationships


“Love. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always preservers. Love never fails.”

∼1 Corinthians 13: 7-8

Xo,

Alyssa

Advertisements